The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Friday, July 9, 2010

A Brit a Day [#151]

I'm sure I'll be re-cycling Mark Cavendish [yes, I said that] throughout my posts until the Tour ends later this month. This picture is from the finish of Thursday's Stage 5. I love how Team HTC-Columbia is presenting photos of their cyclists on their website, the team member picked out in color amidst the field in black and white. Cavendish's joy at winning Stage 5 was particularly poignant. The first four stages of the Tour de France had left his confidence in such a black hole that he cried unabashed tears of relief at the podium upon receiving the prize for the stage win. Re-energized by yesterday's result, The Manx Missile successfully launched again today for a breathtaking finish to Stage 6, and Cavendish took his second stage win of the Tour this year.

Paul Sherwin has just written in his blog on Versus.com: "Cavendish now has got back the confidence he needs to be the top sprinter in the race. This win was his twelfth career stage win--a British record, which may even go higher before we get to Paris."

According to Team HTC-Columbia's site, the Stage 6 win is the 56th road victory of his professional career, which includes four stage wins of the Tour de France in 2008, six in 2009 and two in 2010.

No comments: