The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Brit a Day [#1173]


[The art is not mine.  I found it on Tumblr.]

Today is my daughter's 18th birthday.  I remember what an influence the book 'The Little Prince' was for me around that age.  Plus, my daughter loves the history of Europe in the second world war, and the book is essentially a study of the heart of an exiled poet.  Says Wikipedia,

Saint-Exupéry, a laureate of several of France's highest literary awards and a reserve military pilot at the start of the Second World War, wrote and illustrated the manuscript while exiled in the United States after the Fall of France. He had travelled there on a personal mission to persuade its government to quickly enter the war against Nazi Germany. In the midst of personal upheavals and failing health he produced almost half of the writings he would be remembered for, including a tender tale of loneliness, friendship, love and loss, in the form of a young prince fallen to Earth.

I will make sure she reads it.  But for today's post, what could be a more fitting piece of fan art than The Doctor as The Little Prince?

No comments: