The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Brit a Day [#87]

This week, let's see our enticing male cast in period dress, nineteenth century preferably, but as in all things pleasant, I remain flexible.

Here is Alan Rickman as he appeared in 'Sense and Sensibility.' Jane Austen's book was published in 1811 [don't you love the Wikipedia?--I keep a tab open for it 24/7], so we could say that her characters' styles reflect the waxing of the new century with a little eighteenth c. thrown in for good measure.

In her comments for the 'Sense and Sensibility' DVD, Emma Thompson says that concurrent with the filming of this scene, the Colonel's horse was put on a new diet and the outcome was pretty offensive. So I give extra credit to Alan Rickman for bearing up so nicely under the circumstances.

No comments: