The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Brit a Day [#500]


There can be no more fitting 500th tribute to the beautiful Brits than to choose a Harry Potter star for today's Editor's Choice. My daughter and I attended the 12:01 a.m. showing of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2' late Thursday/early Friday. Having read all the books and seen all the films, the line between what is and is not a spoiler comment blurred a long time ago, so it will be a while before I feel comfortable saying more than "It was great!"

The most obvious choice for today would have been Professor Snape/Alan Rickman, since that particular combination of British actor and character is one of the most amazing things ever seen. Colloquially speaking, Rickman hits the quaffle out of the pitch on this one. But I have to stop there. If I go on too much about that, I'll have nothing to write about tomorrow.

Equally amazing, then, is the transformation of the films' leading lady from a little girl who was "still losing baby teeth" as she describes her 9-year-old self to a breathtaking young woman. The honor of #500 goes to the very talented and beautiful Emma Watson.

No comments: