The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Brit a Day [#945]

OK, hang on for dear life because this is a long and speedy train of thought here:  Friday night I saw 'The Loneliest Planet,' probably the angstiest film of the year.  The entire cast [basically an ensemble of three actors] was amazing, but Gael Garcia Bernal, with maybe a dozen words of dialogue in the whole movie, manages to bear the weight of the entire world with his movements, posture, and face.


It blew me away.  It reminded me of how much I need to see 'Y Tu Mama Tambien,' the film in which Alfonso Cuaron directed Bernal to much acclaim.  And then I started thinking about how much I like Alfonso Cuaron--he directed an episode of the obscure 'Fallen Angels' with Alan Rickman and Laura Dern in a classic noir story, "Murder Obliquely." [Look straight down now for Rickman in jammies, and don't forget to hold onto something as you do--]

Oh, and of course he directed HP3.  And Prisoner of Azkaban is, visually and narratively, my favorite HP movie.  You've got the classic lecture in which Snape instructs the class to 'turn to page 394.'

You have ominous meetings of all kinds--

And you have Snape showing us how a real man takes care of the kids--and if you should happen to see 'The Loneliest Planet,' you will understand how this screen cap brings us full circle, but I better shut up because it would be too easy to get real spoilery here about all that.

No comments: