The "Brit a Day" series

What does a months-long parade of attractive British men have to do with fiction, you might well ask? These gentlemen have inspired some lovely scenes, part of the life I live in my head. Over time, some of these scenes reach out to one another and begin to form a story. For the present, each one of these pictures provides a writing prompt for me, a way to keep me writing with a sense of passion and narrative, even when the stories are not yet fully formed.



Saturday, March 16, 2013

A Brit a Day [#1044]

When I was out walking today, I had a Proustian moment of the highest order.  My friend handed me a Freesia bloom, I sniffed it, and I was transported.  "This is the smell of shopping with Mom," I said. She looked at me like I was weird. "This is the smell of Mom taking me to the toiletries counter and letting me pick out whichever bath salts I wanted."  On one of those shopping trips I went to the record store for the very first time [as opposed to the music department at JC Penneys] and came home with the eponymous Crosby, Stills, and Nash album, the one where 'Wooden Ships' is the first cut on the first side, and from a clothing store called 'The County Seat', a short denim jacket.  My life would never be the same.

Today's Brit has to be Graham Nash.  He was the first.  Today, with a head full of Freesia, there couldn't be anyone else.

1 comment:

Lu said...

That was sweet. :)
Have a nice day!